Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Words are evil

Me and typography definitely don't mesh well.  This is probably because I have never used illustrator before so I was left at the mercy of my minimal knowledge.  The thing I love about computer programs is once you learn something, it is a breeze.  You can think of a design and just create it, instead of searching for ten minutes to deduce where that damn type button was again.  For my first typography outside of class (phrase) I decided to create a bird, which has a very simple shape to it.  From there I chose a raven because I have always had an affinity for them.  From that choice stemmed the desire to use the classic raven-related phrase "nevermore".  Due to the fact that the text was not directly obvious (ex. the word raven) I decided to keep it readable and proceeded to create an outline by typing nevermore repeatedly.  Next, for my pattern design, no letters were as geometric as I was wanting to work with so I played with scale and position of //'s.  I then created created a landscape scene of a moon over mountain, but I guess I overloaded my computer because the entire program shut down without saving, which shifted my inspiration to my next idea (the angry face).  Finally, I let my music be my muse and as I was listening to metal, I recreated the classic ram-headed pentagram.  This one is a tad silly so I decided to play with using different symbols and letters to create it.  Overall, I feel I learned a lot and if I ever had to redo this assignment, it wouldn't take as freakishly long as it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment